When will online casino gambling be arriving in New York state? Later, rather than sooner it would appear. New York Governor Kathy Hucul recently released her 2023 state budget and not a cent of the $224 billion budgeted is earmarked for any segment covering iGaming.
There was hope that the immediate success of online sports betting in the Empire State would be opening up a window leading state lawmakers to fast track the advent of online casino gambling. Online and mobile sports betting was legalized across New York state in January of 2022 and its been on a steady upward trajectory ever since as per NY.bet.
Anticipating Online Casinos in New York: A Waiting Game Despite the Sports Betting Boom
The month of September 2023 established a new record for mobile sports betting revenue in New York. There was a record $165.6 million earned from a total handle for the month of $1.76 billion.
Several of the top online casino sites in the USA already have a presence in New York state through their online sports betting entities. These include such giants of the online gaming industry such as BetMGM, Caesars, DraftKings, FanDuel and PointsBet.
The driving force seeking to get New York access to legal and regulated online and mobile casino gambling is State Senator Joseph Addabbo. It was yeoman work by Addabbo that helped push forward online sports betting from hope to reality. He estimates that each year that New York goes without online casino gambling is costing the state $4 billion in revenue.
Addabbo has proposed Senate Bill 8412, which would legalize and regulate all forms of interactive gaming across the state. The details of the bill line up in the same manner as legal online casino gambling is currently regulated in nearby states such as New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
Under the terms of this bill, land-based casinos would each be allowed to issue as many as two mobile skins to online casino sites. The online site would enter into an operating partnership with the land-based casino.
At the Global Gaming Conference in Las Vegas in October of 2023, industry experts suggested that online casino gambling coming to the Empire State was inevitable. Expectations are that New York will be the next state to legalize online casinos.
When might that happen? Well, the lack of inclusion in the next year’s state budget, and with Addabbo’s legislation still awaiting approval, the best-case scenario is that the earliest New York might see legalized online casino gambling would be sometime in 2024.
Land-Based Casinos in New York: Destinations and Addresses
New York offers a rich variety of gaming experiences with its mix of commercial and Native American casinos, as well as racinos. From the bustling floors of Resorts World Catskills to the serene backdrop of Seneca Allegany, each destination presents a unique adventure for enthusiasts and casual players alike.
- Resorts World Catskills: This full-scale casino in Monticello features an 18-story hotel and a casino and entertainment complex. It’s known for its extensive slot machines and table games as well as entertainment options.
- Address: 888 Resorts World Drive, Monticello, NY 12701
- Del Lago Resort & Casino: Located in the Finger Lakes region, this casino offers a large variety of slots, table games, dining options, and a hotel and spa.
- Address: 1133 State Route 414, Waterloo, NY 13165
- Rivers Casino & Resort: Situated in Schenectady, this resort offers a gaming floor, accommodations, live entertainment, and a variety of dining experiences.
- Address: 1 Rush Street, Schenectady, NY 12305
- Tioga Downs Casino Resort: Found in Nichols, this casino and resort features live harness racing, a golf club, and a variety of gaming options.
- Address: 2384 W River Rd, Nichols, NY 13812
Native American Casinos:
- Turning Stone Resort Casino: Operated by the Oneida Indian Nation, this venue in Verona offers multiple hotels, a casino with poker rooms and bingo, golf courses, and a spa.
- Address: 5218 Patrick Road, Verona, NY 13478
- Seneca Niagara Resort & Casino: This casino in Niagara Falls is operated by the Seneca Nation of Indians and offers gaming, entertainment, a hotel, and a spa.
- Address: 310 4th Street, Niagara Falls, NY 14303
- Seneca Allegany Resort & Casino: Located in the Allegany Mountains, this resort offers a casino experience with table games and slots, along with hotel amenities.
- Address: 777 Seneca Allegany Blvd, Salamanca, NY 14779